DIOIC ACID: THE BENEFITS OF ADDING IT TO YOUR SKINCARE ROUTINE.
INTRODUCTION TO DIOIC ACID
Although SkinCeuticals uses only vegetable-derived dioic acid in its formulations, this organic compound is found naturally in both animal fats and vegetable oils.
Often extracted from sunflower seeds, the value of dioic acid (also called octadecenedioic acid) as a skincare ingredient was discovered after research into alternatives to the structurally similar azelaic acid, a dicarboxylic acid already known to reduce blemishes and redness. Dioic acid inhibits an enzyme that plays a key role in the production of sebum (natural skin oils) and has an antibacterial effect on acne-causing bacteria. These two attributes mean it's used in skincare products designed for blemish-prone skin, reducing both the blemishes themselves and associated redness.
Dioic acid is also involved at several points in the regulation of the production of melanin, which creates the pigment in skin, and so is also found in products intended to reduce skin hyperpigmentation or dark spots as an alternative and equally effective ingredient to hydroquinone.
In addition to helping manage oily skin, and reducing blemishes, dark spots and skin hyperpigmentation, dioic acid has also been shown to reduce skin redness and improve the appearance of uneven skin tone.
SUMMARISING THE BENEFITS OF DIOIC ACID
● Oil Control: As we’ve mentioned before, dioic acid reduces sebum production. This makes it a godsend for those prone to oily skin.
● Blemish Control: By regulating excess oil production and having an antibacterial effect, dioic acid helps prevent breakouts.
● Brightening Effect: Dioic acid also targets hyperpigmentation. So, if you're looking to brighten your complexion or tackle dark spots – don't overlook this potent ingredient.
HOW TO INTRODUCE DIOIC ACID INTO YOUR EVENING SKINCARE ROUTINE
● Step 1: Start by cleansing your skin with SkinCeuticals Blemish and Age Cleansing Gel, a targeted exfoliating cleanser featuring a conditioning surfactant and combination of lipo-hydroxy acid, glycolic acid, salicylic acid, glycerin, and sorbitol to remove excess oils and makeup, while decongesting pores and brightening skin. Formulated for ageing skin prone to breakouts, refines the appearance of congested pores and helps reduce blemishes without drying the skin.
● Step 2: Apply SkinCeuticals Blemish and Age Defense Serum, a targeted, oil-free approach for ageing skin prone to breakouts. This serum combines dioic acid with salicylic acid and other alpha- and beta-hydroxy acids to reduce excess sebum production, clogged pores and blemish formation, while also improving the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and uneven skin tone. Suitable for mild acne-prone, oily, combination, and ageing skin types.
● Step 3: Apply SkinCeuticals Daily Moisture, a lightweight, visible pore-minimising, daily moisturising cream to hydrate normal to oily skin types with a non-greasy finish. Hydrates, nourishes, and helps to reduce the appearance of pore size with an exclusive combination of botanical extracts, and doubles as a revitalising vitamin E cream to help protect and repair skin.
1. Tirado-Sánchez A, et al. Efficacy of dioic acid compared with hydroquinone in the treatment of melasma. Int J Dermatol. 2009 Aug;48(8):893-5.